Fewer than 9 weeks after LMP
RU-486 (Mifepristone) "The Abortion Pill"
RU-486 is a drug that blocks a hormone called progesterone, which is needed for pregnancy to continue. When combined with misoprostol it is used to end an early pregnancy (49 days or less since your last menstrual period began per manufacturer label, though some physicians will prescribe it "off label" up to 63 days).
Risks & Side Affects:
- Bleeding (heavy to severe bleeding may need to be stopped by a surgical procedure)
- Vomiting, Nausea, Diarrhea, Headache, Dizziness, Back Pain, Tiredness
- Risk of Undetected Tubal Pregnancy (RU-486 will not abort an ectopic pregnancy)
- Failed Abortion (RU-486 has a 5-8% failure rate)
- Post-abortion Syndrome - emotional and psychological side effects of an abortion which may range in intensity from one person to another. Symptoms include: regret, anger, guilty feelings, shame, sense of loneliness or isolation, loss of self-confidence, insomnia or nightmares, relationship issues, suicidal thoughts and feelings, eating disorders, depression, anxiety
The use of RU-486 requires that you must visit your health care provider on Day 1, Day 3, and Day 14. Follow-up is important to make sure the pregnancy is ended. You should also have access to a medical care facility in case of an emergency.
Fetal Development (5-9 weeks after LMP):
- The heart is pumping & circulatory system develops
- Central Nervous System develops (brain & spinal cord)
- Arm & leg buds are present
- Fingers & toes begin to appear
- Eyes, jaws, lungs, stomach, intestines and liver appear
- Taste buds and tooth buds are formed
1. Pennsylvania Department of Health. "Abortion Making A Decision." Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. 18.
2. American Pregnancy Association. Pregnancy Concerns/Unplanned Pregnancy/Abortion/Medical Abortion Procedures. Available at: http://americanpregnancy.org/unplannedpregnancy/medicalabortions.html. Accessed September 30, 2013.
3. American Pregnancy Association. Pregnancy Concerns/Unplanned Pregnancy/Abortion/Abortion Emotional Side Effects. Available at: http://americanpregnancy.org/unplannedpregnancy/abortionemotionaleffects.html. Accessed September 24, 2013.